Animal aided recovery has proven to be a successful way to overcome any sort of addiction or mental health issue. We at Taylor Recovery recommend you to also bring in your pet when you come to our rehab center for treatment. The only thing that needs to be made sure before allowing your pet in is that they should be approved by the center. Once the test is cleared, you are free to bring in your pet friends to assist you with recovery.
There are 8 different ways as to how an animal will aid you with your recovery process. Let’s have a look:
- Unconditional love and support: pets are the most non – judgemental living beings you would find around you. They will provide you unconditional love and support whenever you need it. All they ask in return is some food and care without saying anything that could further worsen your situation.
- Promotes accountability: having a pet can bring in a sense of responsibility and accountability. It becomes your duty to look after them by providing them regular healthy meals, keep them clean and groomed and take good care of their health.
- They can uplift your mood instantly: As you return to your accommodation after a difficult session, they will welcome you with joy and you can’t help but cuddle or play with them. This will alter all the negative thoughts running in your head.
- Improves mental health: pets help you greatly when struggling with mental health issues. You will feel relaxed and the sense of loneliness at the therapy goes away.
- Helps you make new friends: while you take your dog for a walk, you may meet other owners too and begin a conversation by simply sharing funny stories about your pets and they could soon become your friends.
- Helps fight loneliness: you will often be engaged looking after your pet, feeding them, cleaning them or taking them out for a walk. This will keep you distracted from thinking about drugs and alcohol.
- Physical benefits: there are several physical benefits of having a pet by your side at the treatment center like:
- Petting them boosts oxytocin, serotonin and dopamine – the happy hormones
- Lowers the stress hormone – cortisol
- Lowers blood pressure and stress
- Keeps you active
- Their touch lowers your anxiety
- Maintain your healthy routine: as you will try and maintain the feeding, cleaning and walking routine of your pet, it will also help you to begin and maintain your own healthy routine.
If you are coming to Taylor Recovery and have a pet at home, we surely recommend you to bring it along. They will help you a lot with your recovery process also while making sur you feel homely at the facility.