Alcohol is a harmful addictive substance and it not only affects the physical health but also affects the mental health of the consumer. It alters the brain’s ability to make decisions, generate emotions and understand the sensation of happiness without alcohol. The brain slowly begins to develop a dependency on alcohol to experience joy and happiness.
Mental Health Problems Due To Addiction
Alcohol can never be the permanent solution to experience happiness and joy. It in fact loses your brain’s natural ability to produce happy hormones like serotonin and dopamine.
Here are some mental health issues that an alcoholic will experience:
- Mood swings or dysregulation: prolonged use of alcohol leads to the brain losing its ability to produce serotonin naturally. Therefore, when the alcohol effect subdues, the user will begin to experience a rush of emotions.
- Anxiety and depression: frequent consumption of alcohol can cause permanent damage to the brain causing problems like depression and anxiety.
- Bipolar disorder: alcohol also causes another problem known as bipolar disorder. The user feels sudden mood swings and changes in energy levels.
Short – Term Effects
The short – term effects caused due to alcohol on mental health depends on various factors like existing mental health problems, frequency of use, body build up and family history. The effects are:
- Slow heart rate
- Mild cognitive and physical impairment
Long – Term Effects
Prolonged alcohol consumption can lead to certain long – term damages like:
- Chronic conditions for liver, heart, immune system and digestive system
- Other mental health issues
Taylor Recovery center helps the patients combat their alcohol and drug addiction also while paying equal attention to their mental well – being. Contact the center now to know more about the therapies and treatments offered.