A sober living home is a perfect place to begin the next phase of your recovery journey. After residential treatment, it is now time to go back to your normal life, but this time, without substances. This could be challenging, but with sober living homes, the situation can be handled better.
A sober living home, also known as a transition house is a place for you to practice the skills learned at rehab. It allows you to smoothly transition from a strict, drug-free environment to a liberal household. However, the rules for substances remain the same. After all, it is to assure that you maintain your sobriety.
Qualities of a Sober Living Home
Sober living homes are residential facilities for recovering addicts. The goal of this facility is to maintain your sobriety while re-take on responsibilities like work, school, etc. a few other qualities of a sober living home are:
- A strict alcohol and drug-free environment for recovering addicts
- Mandatory attendance for programs like 12-step meetings
- The compulsion to adhere to the house rules like participating in daily chores, meetings, paying rent, expenses, etc.
- No specific duration to spend
- Support from peers, counselors, therapists, etc.
All these qualities lead to availing of benefits like:
- Sense of safety and community
- Gaining peer support
- Learning accountability
- Access to sober activities
- Access to weekly house meetings and recovery support meetings
- Increased self-confidence
- Increased hope for a better future
- Increased self-efficacy
Sober Living can Prevent Relapse
Stepping out directly from a rehab environment to a sober lifestyle can become overwhelming for some patients. The first few days can go well, but without accurate support, they can go back to their habits. Some patients are seen to suffer from a relapse because they did not live in a sober house.
Thus, to avoid such a situation, you are advised to spend some time at sober homes. This place will provide you with everything that you need to maintain sobriety. Besides meetings, you can also begin working, meet your family, etc., and begin living your normal life.
Finding the Right Sober Living Home
Finding the right facility is equally a task. Therefore, to make things easier for you, we have listed below a few factors that you can consider while choosing the right place:
- Convenient and accessible location
- Structured programs
- Qualified and trained staff
- Amenities and recreational activities
- Support network
Once the facility you are looking at fulfills the above-mentioned needs, you can move on with the admission process. However, if you need further assistance, you can always consult our professionals at Taylor Recovery. We are located in Houston, Texas, and offer excellent sober living facilities. Contact us now to schedule a visit!